Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisky/Bourbon Barrel Brew
A the last meeting we discussed the possibility of purchasing a used whiskey/bourbon barrel and doing a 'group brew' at Keith and Kerri's place. Lee Gidley says Hoppin Frog does regular buys and could probably get us one that way. I think the price was around $165? Not sure. Alcohol was involved.

We need to discuss interest level, recipe, dispersement of the final product, etc....

Lee suggested something high alcohol to keep from having contamination problems. I can live with that. At the moment a bourbon barrel aged barley wine sounds like a good choice. Let the discussions begin.

The forum software has the option for a poll. We can do one for the type of beer and then maybe another for the recipe? Again, EVERYTHING is open to discussion at this point.
So, I may have been drinking a little bit while on the phone with Ken that day. The one invoice I looked at didn't include shipping, and upon further investigation, those were pretty cheap. I bet the real number is more realistically $225 to $250 including splitting freight with our bigger order.

When were you considering doing this? We are about to put an order in for delivery the week of February 13th. Our first request on distillery is Woodford reserve on that particular order. Haven't heard back if those are available, but they probably will be. I'd need to know to order before February 1st to have your barrel included. If not, we get a barrel delivery loosely once per month. I bet the next round won't be Woodford reserve though. Once the barrel comes in, you should definitely plan to fill it within two weeks.
Hello MAGMA,

Although I'm no longer a member I would be interested in participating in a group "barrel brew".

That is something I have wanted to do since we started the club.

We approached the subject several times but nothing ever came to fruition.

Even if I don't join in, it would be good to see MAGMA do a group brew.
PROST!
Mad Saxon
(01-24-2017, 11:09 AM)Mad Saxon Wrote: Hello MAGMA,

Although I'm no longer a member I would be interested in participating in a group "barrel brew".

That is something I have wanted to do since we started the club.

We approached the subject several times but nothing ever came to fruition.

Even if I don't join in, it would be good to see MAGMA do a group brew.

At this rate I don't know if we will drum up enough interest to do a brew. I've suggested to Mike maybe we could ask Lee to the next meeting and perhaps pay his and his fiancées dinner and drink bill. (limits of course)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National Homebrew Day / Big Brew Location Mad Saxon 9 10,333 05-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Last Post: jan
  Big Brew / National Homebrew Day Mad Saxon 0 1,783 03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Mad Saxon
  brew day @ Billyd's house BILLY D 2 3,900 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Last Post: rockstar4130